What is the English word for "collecting money for a special event from a group of people"?

For example, say some friends are planing a party. Each one has to contribute some amount of money to the event. What is the word or phrase that can be used to explain this kind of activity?

I have found "fund raising" to have a similar meaning, but I feel it's more along the lines of "collecting money for some charity event". Is that right, and is there a better word I can use?


The words whip, whip-round or kitty may work here. The whip or kitty being the account or purse where these group funds are held and from where group purchases are made.


How about passing the hat? This implies an informal request for contributions from a group of people.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.