I'm not entirely clear how you would describe a verb that fulfils this function. I'm looking for a word equivalent to "gallicise", "americanise" or "hellenise", but for Spain equivalent. Is there such a word? What morpheme would you use for Spain?

  • .....conquistar Dec 6 '13 at 21:58
  • Not a Spanish verb, an English verb....
    – Lou
    Dec 6 '13 at 22:49
  • .....perdoname! Dec 6 '13 at 23:18
  • You're not helping! :P
    – Lou
    Dec 6 '13 at 23:31
  • The Spanish are looking to make Gibraltar Spanish. I don't think 'Hispanicise' works here. Dec 7 '13 at 14:25

The word is Hispanicize (or ise, for british spelling) http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Hispanicize


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.