So I want to say "I angrily closed the laptop." Like this: enter image description here

Instead of using the quote above, what else can I say?

5 Answers 5


An informal sentence could be:

"I slammed the laptop shut".

  • Thank you for such an awesome answer.This is exactly what I was looking for.
    – Andy
    Dec 6, 2013 at 7:38
  • Note you can also close the lid of the laptop if you like.
    – SF.
    Dec 6, 2013 at 8:55
  • Glad I could help Dec 6, 2013 at 17:15

Clamshelled works for laptops and the like. The verb forms don't seem to have made it to the dictionaries yet, but they're all over the internet.

Clamshelling his laptop, hard, Doug turned and scowled at Patti.

  • I'm familiar with "clamshell' as a description of the design, but how commonly is it used as a verb? As a verb wouldn't it apply equally to opening the laptop?
    – nnnnnn
    Mar 5, 2020 at 4:25

You could also use "shut the laptop". If you like, qualify it with some adjective.


The animated gif you'd shown does not show anger, IMO.

I would say, instead:

He indignantly closed the laptop.

Indignance is a more controlled form of angry-feelings.

  • "Indigence"? I think you mean "indignation".
    – nnnnnn
    Mar 5, 2020 at 3:10
  • yea pardon, was meant to be indignance. Pity; the OP's gif does not involve slamming. It's very controlled and deliberate Mar 5, 2020 at 5:21

I would say "He Shuttered his laptop"

  • "Shuttered" means something very different to "shut".
    – Andrew Leach
    Mar 5, 2020 at 11:17
  • 1
    Welcome to ELU. Unfortunately, your post has been flagged as poor quality and has garnered some down votes. High quality answers often contain a link to a dictionary entry.
    – Pam
    Mar 6, 2020 at 20:46

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.