I am looking for a singular word that categorizes this set of words: {forewords, preface, prologue, chapter, author's note, etc}

The best I can come up with right now is Section Heading which is obviously not one word.

  • In most publications, the main text itself is contained within chapters (containing paragraphs, containing words, containing letters). So that category is different to all your other ones (which I would probably call "supplementary text", though my link just distinguishes [main] text from notes, appendixes, headings, illustrations, etc.) – FumbleFingers Nov 30 '13 at 3:08
  • The perspective of "supplementary text" is one that tries to describe the effects of text within these sections on the book overall. I'm primarily concerned about the categorical name of these words as a collective that describe the section of the book. – Harrison Tran Nov 30 '13 at 3:15
  • And what exactly is the "real-world problem" you face for lack of such a term? The only one I can think of is you want a name to use in a programming context. In which case there probably isn't an established term, but "textual elements" might come close. – FumbleFingers Nov 30 '13 at 3:28
  • What a guess, you are exactly right. I'm making a website that is formatted in the book-like style. I want the author of each section of the book to be able to change the title, section, and content of the post. This is important because all of the 3 pieces are styled difference. – Harrison Tran Nov 30 '13 at 3:33
  • This is usually lumped together as "Front Matter" on a dissertation. For instance, when I put my 1973 dissertation on the web around 2004 or so, that's what I called that part. – John Lawler Nov 30 '13 at 4:57

My copy of Butcher's Copy-editing simply refers to these as parts.


The Chicago Manual of Style (16/e) also refers to them as book parts or divisions.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.