I know "Bob's house" and "Bob's" mean the same thing.

Question 1: Is there a name for this grammatical phenomenon? Can one call it an abbreviation?

Question 2: In the context of within a university, can I simply call "Professor Bob's lab" "Professor Bob's"?

Example: I am interested in the labs of Professors A, B and C. I also like Professor Bob's.

Is the example sentence formal and correct? Do people understand that I'm referring to the lab of Professor Bob?


I think it's just called...

deletion - any process whereby sounds or words are left out of spoken words or phrases.

In OP's case the words house and lab are simply deleted. It gets a bit more complicated with, say, "I liked his answer, but I didn't like yours" (where the "full" version is your answer).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.