Is there an official term for the ads that you see on public transit inside the vehicle or car, above the windows/doors, long horizontal panels, usually about 24" x /12"?

  • 1
    Perhaps you have a picture of one? I am only thinking of horizontal ads... – GEdgar Nov 29 '13 at 15:30
  • Are these on the inside of the subway cars, on the outside of the subway cars, on walls in the subway tunnels, or in the subway stations? I've seen ads all these places? I don't know if any of them have special names. – Peter Shor Nov 29 '13 at 15:37
  • Good question, Peter, I've edited the original question for more clarity. I'm talking about ads that are inside the subway or bus. I'm hoping somebody may know if there's a special term for them or if they're just "interior high-up vertical panel ads". – JeanSibelius Nov 29 '13 at 15:39
  • 1
    This website calls it "interior display (horizontal format)". I expect you were looking for something less prosaic. – Peter Shor Nov 29 '13 at 15:59
  • 2
    I'd just refer to them as "ads in the bus" or "on the subway/el/T/Tube...". There's no term that specifically distinguishes ads inside a subway car from those in the tunnels or stations. Though of course advertisers will have their own jargon in their own speech community, like any other. – John Lawler Nov 29 '13 at 16:34

Interior cards Rail Cards and Behind-The-Driver Posters

The Rail Cards line both sides of the bus interior above the windows, and the BTD Poster is positioned on the divider that separates the driver from the passenger seating.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.