A word for someone who loves looking at handwriting - not studies it but purely for pleasure.

  • 1
    None that I know of, so I’ve made one up: chirographphile. Nov 19, 2013 at 19:26
  • Graphobia is a fear of writing or handwriting, and one might think agraphobia ought to be its opposite (or at least its absence). Instead it's another fear, “the abnormal fear of sexual abuse”. But consider the neologism antigraphobia. Nov 19, 2013 at 19:58
  • If handwriting could be considered a form of art, you might consider them a dilettante.
    – long
    Nov 19, 2013 at 20:03
  • @jwpat7 - I thought most "opposites" of -phobe words were -phile words, a la Barrie England's suggestion.
    – J.R.
    Nov 19, 2013 at 20:26
  • @J.R., right, but a- as a prefix can mean not. (Rather than “ought to be its opposite” I should have written “is an opposite”.) Nov 19, 2013 at 21:00

2 Answers 2


Perhaps a neologism, calligraphile based on calligraphy

handwriting, esp beautiful handwriting considered as an art

and the suffix -phile

indicating a person or thing having a fondness or preference for something specified

  • It was the first word that came to mind. I say go for calligraphile. Nov 20, 2013 at 2:16

If a graphologist engages in the study of handwriting, then a grapholophile (or graphophile) does it for love.

(Strictly speaking, it should be grapho- + -phile, but I like the sound of grapholophile better.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.