I'm trying to come up with a word to describe what happens in cartoons (and probably real life) when a traumatic event leads to a group of ordinary people (usually children) to fend for themselves. They then form a new society resembling a dictatorship ruled by bullies.

  • If you exclude the "traumatic event" part, then "anarchy."
    – Adam
    Commented Feb 23, 2011 at 4:09
  • "Anarchy" is perfect, thanks! Post that as an answer for +25 from me! Commented Feb 23, 2011 at 4:47
  • I went with it, thanks @advs89: "...the others would just sit and read magazines while the kids they were supposed to be watching fell into anarchy ruled by sugar-crazed, toy hoarding bullies" Commented Feb 23, 2011 at 5:08
  • 3
    Just to be pedantic, it's not anarchy because there is structure, and the rudiments of self-governance. If in the future you need a less casual word for it, I'd try dictatorship or ochlocracy.
    – Jon Purdy
    Commented Feb 23, 2011 at 7:00
  • 1
    I wonder if there are shades of gray with the "disorder" and "unstructured" parts of anarchy. It seems like there can be even a little order or structure, and still exhibit traits characteristic to an anarchy, like confusion, chaos, and (albeit some) much less order than a the previous situation, or the ideal situation.
    – xdumaine
    Commented Feb 23, 2011 at 13:18

3 Answers 3


If you exclude the "traumatic event" part, then "anarchy" works.

from dictionary.com,

4 : confusion; chaos; disorder: Intellectual and moral anarchy followed his loss of faith.

  • 1
    It's about time you made this an answer. +1
    – bye
    Commented Feb 23, 2011 at 6:52
  • haha, sorry about that
    – Adam
    Commented Feb 23, 2011 at 19:12

I'd call it a "Lord of the Flies situation". Lord of the Flies is a novel about some school kids on a field trip that are shipwrecked and wash up on an island with no adults, and form just what you described: a spontaneous, cruel society of neglected people.

I think nearly all somewhat-educated adult English speakers would understand exactly what you're talking about; we all had to read it in high school.


I would call this social atavism in general. The term for the form of government involved (rule by those best at causing fear, pain, injury and death) is despotism.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.