This question already has an answer here:

As suggested by the title, I am looking for a term to describe the well-known (?) phenomenon, that some people often start quite lengthy conversations with someone standing in a doorway about to leave. I am sure I came across such a term some time ago, but cannot find it now.

Thanks in advance!

marked as duplicate by Mari-Lou A, Christi, JLG, aedia λ, Matt E. Эллен Nov 21 '13 at 13:10

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • @Mari-LouA: Thanks a lot! That's actually where I read about it in the first place, but I had forgot about it :) – Étienne Bézout Nov 18 '13 at 22:41
  • Could it be a go-ssip, or an exitchange or redepartee ;-) – long Nov 18 '13 at 22:44
  • @long: I feel like there is a pun I am supposed to get, but I don't... – Étienne Bézout Nov 18 '13 at 22:47
  • go-ssip, playing off of "go" and "gossip". exitchange, a play off of "exit" and "exchange" (as in to talk). Redepartee, as in continuously attempting to depart (the person departing is a departee; re is a predicate indicating a repetition). – Doc Nov 18 '13 at 23:05
  • Thanks, Doc, and sorry, long, for failing to appreciate the intended amusement. I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't quite get it, but I'm a bit tired. – Étienne Bézout Nov 18 '13 at 23:09

In medical circles it is often referred to as the doorknob syndrome. Typically when the doctor is leaving the examining room and has his hand on the doorknob, the patient goes: by the way doctor or can I ask one more thing ...

  • Thanks for your input! That's very interesting and I hadn't heard it before. I can certainly see how it could be very frustrating for doctors. I upvoted your answer but didn't "accept" it, as I am hoping to find a more general term. – Étienne Bézout Nov 18 '13 at 22:27
  • I'm sure there is no harm in applying this concept more generally - there is nothing specifically medical about it. But I agree ... maybe there is another expression. – user49727 Nov 18 '13 at 22:36
  • 1
    Yes, but to me, "syndrome" indicates some sort of medical problem. – Étienne Bézout Nov 18 '13 at 22:43
  • Perhaps - is there anything medical about the Washington monument syndrome? – user49727 Nov 18 '13 at 22:56
  • 2
    Not necessarily - I would avoid using it as a verb that's all. If you use it as a 'syndrome' or 'phenomenon' I'm sure you will be safe and fully understood. – user49727 Nov 18 '13 at 23:30

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.