I am busy writing a report where I need a word which would mean "the recipient of pollution".

Specifically I want to mention domestic sewerage which has been polluted by industrial sewerage.

The reason I don't want to describe it is because the word I am looking for should be the header in the column of a table.

thank you all for the help around here!

  • And therefore "recipient of pollution" is too long, right? – Lester Nubla Nov 15 '13 at 10:14
  • that is the problem yes ... I would like to hammer the issue home by saying "victim" but it just sounds odd – NamSandStorm Nov 15 '13 at 10:16
  • I've just seen the synonyms of "recipient" and there is no suitable word either. Hmm... – Lester Nubla Nov 15 '13 at 10:17
  • If there are no synonyms applicable, you might want to resort to figure of speech. :) – Lester Nubla Nov 15 '13 at 10:21
  • Maybe pollutee? – rsegal Nov 15 '13 at 17:11

How about contaminated? (here meaning subjected or exposed to contamination by the pollutant)

  • Although it's an adjective, I think a noun-like use would work in something like a column heading, equivalent to "contaminated thing" – Chris H Nov 15 '13 at 16:54

"Victim" is more appropriate. That would be my choice if I were you. :)


Though it is not a single word,

Affected Party could work. You could substitute the word 'party' with something more appropriate to your context like households.


I don't know that a single word for this exists, and I can't think of a functional ending that can be applied well to derive one (pollutee, in my opinion, is ambiguous as the -ee ending often, but doesn't always, denote the recipient of the verb's action).

In this case, then, I'd simply recommend polluted (using the adjective as a noun) if you require a one-word answer. As suggested above, contaminated also works in the same way and for most contexts would probably be interchangeable.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.