How do you refer to a person who is being rewarded and the person who gives the reward?

For example, if you help me with something and I want to arrange a lunch to say thanks to you as a reward, what would someone call YOU and ME?

  • 1
    In some special cases, the recipient of an award has a special name: for example laureate. – GEdgar Nov 14 '13 at 20:56
  • In some contexts it'll be the claimant. – FumbleFingers Nov 14 '13 at 21:16
  • Depending on the type of reward, perhaps honoree. – bib Nov 15 '13 at 2:07

One who is receiving a reward, or anything for that matter, would be called the 'recipient', and the person presenting this award, or anything, would be the 'presenter' (which is commonly used to refer to an oral presentation, but can mean any sort of presentation as well).

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Is there any specific terms for the recipient and presenter like recipient may be called rewardee and presenter rewarderer.? – Noor Nov 14 '13 at 19:37
  • Not any that I know of. Certainly if the reward is for a contest, then the person getting the reward would be the "winner", but I don't think that's what you're looking for. – Zibbobz Nov 14 '13 at 19:44
  • yes its not about contest – Noor Nov 14 '13 at 19:46
  • 2
    @Noor, a rewarderer would be a producer of rewarders, rather than a rewarder proper. – James Waldby - jwpat7 Nov 14 '13 at 19:52
  • 1
    Of course you can invent words like rewardee, and most people will understand. But (unless you are lucky) they won't catch on. – GEdgar Nov 14 '13 at 20:54

Beneficiary sounds more suitable particularly in banking and financial scenario where reward is in form of points or money. Reward unlike Award need not to be an honor and could be a gift.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.