The sentence is

Call your two Senators and your elected member of the House of Representatives.

I'd like to say something simpler like … your elected Congressman, but that runs into all sorts of issues. First, we can have either a congressman or a congresswoman. Second, Senators are "congressmen." So how to refer to people of the other house?

  • 1
    "Your elected representatives" or "your members of Congress." But asking for rephrasings of single sentences and phrases is off-topic here.
    – Lauren Ipsum
    Nov 13, 2013 at 0:46
  • You can also lump them together as "Congressional delegates".
    – Kit Z. Fox
    Nov 13, 2013 at 1:05
  • This looks like it's more of a word ID question. I'll see if English will take it. Nov 13, 2013 at 3:13
  • I can give you several gender-neutral options; unfortunately, none of them are suitable for use in polite company.
    – cardinal
    Nov 13, 2013 at 3:29

1 Answer 1


The term Representative (with a capital R) means

a politician who is a member of the U.S. House of Representatives

Especially when used in the context of a sentences that references Senators and Representative, there is little likelihood of confusion.

  • As it says on the House page "Find Your Representative" ! Nov 13, 2013 at 3:54
  • 1
    @MarioElocio We were obviously on the same wave length typing at the same time. Thanks
    – bib
    Nov 13, 2013 at 3:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.