Is there a word for playgoers' behavior when hissing and booing the villain?

  • Alternatives, yes, but hissing and booing is the traditional terminology for what goes on at a panto.
    – bye
    Feb 22, 2011 at 17:41

2 Answers 2


The crowd as a whole, or members of it, could be razzing or heckling.

Some people in the crowd might be a little more obnoxious than others and engage in badgering or taunting, although those are generally more appropriate for a one-on-one situation.

  • thank you all, heeckling is the very woord, i was worried that it wouldn't be abusive enough...but it seems that it is.
    – iminei
    Feb 22, 2011 at 19:16

You can use jeer, catcall, heckle, or hoot.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.