See picture -- is there a better term than glass elevator?

enter image description here

  • I've often thought that it was interesting that we call them elevators at all, given that they spend 50% of their time going down, not up... ;-) Feb 21, 2011 at 15:08
  • @mickeyf - it may not be that it 'elevates' you, but that it changes your 'elevation'.
    – Tester101
    Feb 21, 2011 at 17:24
  • 1
    I call them awesome. I don't know about you.
    – Adam
    Feb 21, 2011 at 21:30

4 Answers 4


[I used to work in an elevator company]

We usually referred to these as "panoramic elevators". (Google returns a few hundred thousand hits on this).

  • 1
    panoramic elevator (with quotes): 571 thousand, pictures
    – user3812
    Feb 21, 2011 at 15:56

Observation elevator or sightseeing elevator.

I think observation elevator is more commonly used, as Google returns pictures and more results (76 thousand vs. 44 thousand, with quotes).


It depends on whether you are referring to the glass-ness of them, or the 'inside-out-ness', in which case you could say 'external elevator', though I've no idea if that's the 'official' term.


Yes, in some parts of the anglosphere, "glass lift" (or indeed panoramic lift) is a better term :-)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.