You know that feeling when you’re about to finish a particular thought and suddenly someone else, a friend or a stranger, finishes your sentence better than you possibly could have? Is there a word for that in English, or in any language?

  • I don't know of a particular word for "friendly sentence finisher" but kindred spirit may sum up your feelings about that person if they always feel the same way you do about things.
    – Jim
    Nov 2, 2013 at 23:18
  • This is a pretty interesting question, but I'm afraid there may be no single-word answer.
    – user28567
    Nov 3, 2013 at 1:37
  • 1
    He's a smartass.
    – Saturn
    Nov 3, 2013 at 10:39
  • 1
    Jinx! You owe me a Coke
    – Oldcat
    Apr 18, 2014 at 18:48

7 Answers 7


When that happens, it is common to say "you took the words right out of my mouth" or "you read my mind"

  • Or I was about to say that and then a self-conscious look that makes it clear the original idea was much less witty.
    – lly
    Apr 12, 2017 at 4:19

I think the word you're looking for is co-narration.

I'm currently taking a communications class, and that is the word used when people who are in a relationship (close or otherwise) finish each other's sentences because they have enough knowledge to infer what the person is trying to say.


In any language? In France we call that person "sauveur" (=lifesaver).


Since an already existing answer seems unlikely, may I humbly suggest the term clauseguard?



However consider adding an adjective.

E.g. Awesome dude.

  • 4
    Did you pick your username before or after you decided to write this answer? :-)
    – user28567
    Nov 3, 2013 at 1:25

So, A "life saver" is often used to address someone who's been such a great help for you, including finishing things better than you could possibly have.


Someone who brings the wrong kind of closure could be called a terminator.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.