I’m writing a piece of documentation and I want to add the links I'm referring to at the bottom of my document.

Since they are links and not books, I think the section title should not use the word bibliography.

The most appropriate term that comes to mind is linkography. However, I don't know if this word even exists. I did not find it in the dictionary. I think the word is ugly, and my computer’s spell-checker does not know it.

Is linkography the best term to use when referring to web links? Does this word really exist?

  • While the Urban Dictionary is hardly an authoritative reference, the fact that linkography is in there means somebody has used it. But if you'd rather use the word bibliography, nobody is going to object that you're using it for links rather than books. Merriam-Webster defines it as "a list of the books, magazines, articles, etc., that are mentioned in a text". I think links clearly fall under the category of "etc." Oct 30, 2013 at 12:20

1 Answer 1


I'd avoid "Linkography", as readers are unlikely to be familiar with it.

You can write "References" instead. This works for links as well as books.

By the way, be careful of the etymological fallacy. The word bibliography may contain biblio-, but that doesn't determine its meaning in the modern language. To figure that out, you need to consult a dictionary or look at actual usage.

  • "References" is perfect. Thanks!
    – SamK
    Oct 30, 2013 at 12:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.