I'm looking for a word that can describe a person continuously talking angrily as if fighting with someone, for example over a phone, but in a low and whispering manner.

  • 1
    Growling. e.g. "Stop that!" he growled. Commented Oct 27, 2013 at 5:15
  • That's good, more in a continuous fashion. Commented Oct 27, 2013 at 5:18
  • 1
    "Stop that, you i--di-ot!" he growled in syncopated whisper. Commented Oct 27, 2013 at 5:22
  • How about simply, "Nathan could overhear a man at the other end of the bar arguing with someone on the phone in an angry whisper."
    – Jim
    Commented Oct 27, 2013 at 5:48
  • 2
    He "spoke like Batman" over the phone.
    – J.R.
    Commented Oct 27, 2013 at 7:51

3 Answers 3


As already noted you could use growl:-

v.intr. 1. To emit a low guttural sound or utterance. 2. To speak in an angry or surly manner.

or possibly snarl:-

v.intr. 1. To growl viciously while baring the teeth. 2. To speak angrily or threateningly.

or perhaps hiss:-

  1. A sharp sibilant sound similar to a sustained s.
  2. An expression of disapproval, contempt, or dissatisfaction conveyed by use of this sound.

v.tr. 1. To utter with a hiss: 2. To express (a negative view or reaction) by uttering a hiss: The audience hissed its displeasure.


Have you thought of 'a malevolent undertone'. It sounds more sinister than an 'angry growl'.


I would use mutter. It combines connotations of both anger and low volume in a way that isn't true of growl.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.