What is a single word for a title and short paragraph? for example:

Lorem ipsum

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Phasellus sagittis dictum nisl. Duis ac dapibus diam. Maecenas porta non dolor in commodo. Aliquam feugiat nisl non enim vulputate semper. Cras imperdiet aliquet eros sed fermentum. Etiam vitae arcu ac lacus viverra iaculis ut cursus magna. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

This could be at the start of a page or multiple times one under the other.
Is there a word that defines this?

  • 3
    What is the purpose/context of the text? I might call it an abstract if it describes a written work, or possibly a blurb in several other contexts. – apsillers Oct 23 '13 at 16:57
  • For example a website where you have a list of blog posts, a title and bit of text, or at the top of a page (like an introduction) but I was after a word that encompasses both the title and paragraph – user54762 Oct 23 '13 at 19:13

Note, some portions of answers to previous and related questions (What do you call a quote from an article that is displayed prominently in the article itself? and What are footnotes called when they aren’t in the footer?) are included below.

Two of the main terms for [a prominently displayed quote] are callout and pull quote, the former meaning “A pull quote: an excerpt from an article (such as in a news magazine) that is duplicated in a large font alongside the article so as to grab a reader’s attention and indicate the article’s topic”, and the latter “In newspaper and magazine publishing, a brief excerpt drawn from an article and used out of context.”

Related terms [...] include sidebar, “a short news story printed alongside a larger one” or “information placed at the side of a webpage”; hook in the sense “A brief, punchy opening statement intended to draw the reader or viewer into a book or play”; and blurb, “A short description of a book, film, musical work, or other product written and used for promotional purposes.” Like callouts, box quotes, or pull quotes, these items may appear in large bright type to attract attention. [jwpat7]

Sidenotes is a common term used to denote the notes, trivia or anything interesting noted by the author on the sidelines of pages of his book. [Mohit]

Marginalia, see Wikipedia: Marginalia or margin note. [Dohn Joe]

The terms marginal notes, marginal markings, graffiti, and graffito are used to refer to the numerous small sidebars in italics within Concrete Mathematics by Graham, Knuth, and Patashnik. [jwpat7]

You might use the word annotations to describe explanatory text or comments found on the margins of literary works and diagrams. [KeyBrd Basher]

  • Hmm, I think callout is what I'm looking for. Thanks :) – user54762 Oct 23 '13 at 19:15

Suggest using "Introduction" which could apply to both heading and body text.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.