What would you call an adjective that is created from a verb?

Typically, the adjective comes from the past participle form of the verb. For example:

A disconnected phone

A possessed man

An inspired art piece

You wouldn't say these words are past participles, because they are not, they are adjectives. What type of adjective are they, though?

  • 1
    You already called them 'verbs,' in fact, 'past participle form of the verb,' then why would you think they're not 'participles'?
    – Kris
    Oct 23, 2013 at 13:51

1 Answer 1


The OED has entries for them all as adjectives. When any adjective occurs before a noun in this way, it’s an attributive adjective.

  • 1
    When I was looking this up, I ran across the terms participial adjective and attributive participle. Precisely what I was looking for, thanks for making me look somewhere I hadn't even thought of looking!
    – Andrew
    Oct 23, 2013 at 11:51
  • Glad you found what you wanted. Oct 23, 2013 at 12:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.