Is there a name for dialect/variant of English that is commonly used in titles? The one that intentionally omits auxiliary verbs, articles and other words for shortness:

  • Normal English: The new album is now available, and it contains exclusive booklet inside.
  • “Title” English: New album available, exclusive booklet inside

1 Answer 1


Such compressed language may be called headline English—for which we even have a tag, — or more jokingly, headlinese, also the name of a book on the subject by Ingrid Mårdh.

Ah, headline English: home of the article drop, land of the crash blossom.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.