In a research paper, I'd like to refer to some specific markers on a chart. One marker looks like an x, and the other one is small circle.

What would be proper terms? Circular marker and x-marker?

  • Usually the color varies as well, and you can then say, "the red circle" or "the blue cross"
    – Jim
    Oct 17, 2013 at 7:49
  • @Jim: In this case the color doesn't vary. Oct 17, 2013 at 7:50
  • 1
    Cross and circle/dot sounds good to me. Oct 17, 2013 at 8:13

1 Answer 1


Cross and Rondel - although this is not commonly used in day to day English. In the military (airforce) a rondel is the simple insignia on the side of aircraft. I believe it comes from French and is the diminutive of "round".


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.