Is anyone aware of any word form dictionary available (online):

If we were to take a common word. For example: eat

Then you would have the following:

  • Present: eat
  • Simple past: ate
  • Past participle: Eaten
  • Gerund : eating
  • Adjective: edible
  • Adjective: eatable (edible more correct)

Please note: I am not looking for synonyms. So therefore the use of a thesaurus would be an unfitting solution.

Thank you for your help


I'm not sure I understand your question, but it seems like you're describing:


An alteration of the form of a word by the addition of an affix, as in English dogs from dog, or by changing the form of a base, as in English spoke from speak, that indicates grammatical features such as number, person, mood, or tense.

More specifically, verbs undergo:


a) inflection of a verb for person, number, tense, voice, mood, etc.
b) the complete set of the inflections of a given verb

Nouns can undergo:


a) In certain languages, the inflection of nouns, pronouns, and adjectives in categories such as case, number, and gender.
b) A class of words of one language with the same or a similar system of inflections, such as the first declension in Latin.

[You can find those words in any online dictionary.]

  • Hello, here is a list (uefap.com/vocab/select/awl.htm) however this is a fixed list. A search box where you could type a word, e.g. "Eat" would then bring up the information located in the first post or smoothing similar. Thank you Talia. – Arthor Oct 15 '13 at 17:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.