Do you know the names of universities starting with definite article "the"?

Such as:

  1. The London School of Economics and Political Science
  2. The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
  3. The Hague University of Applied Sciences

Thank you for answering my question.

closed as too broad by JSBձոգչ, MrHen, Edwin Ashworth, Andrew Leach, Bradd Szonye Oct 10 '13 at 20:59

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • The Ohio State University. – Dilip Sarwate Oct 10 '13 at 19:46
  • That...would be a very long list that I do not think we are equipped to answer. You would do better consulting a Department of Education list of colleges. – Zibbobz Oct 10 '13 at 19:46
  • Except you might have to wait a while. – JLG Oct 10 '13 at 20:23
  • Ah yes...that would be a problem. And would also be the source I would go to if looking for such a list. – Zibbobz Oct 10 '13 at 20:47
  • 1
    What is it with universities and the definite article? – Andrew Leach Oct 10 '13 at 20:56

In Great- Britain :

The Courtauld Institute of Art, University of London

The London School of Economics and Political Science

The Robert Gordon University

The University of Buckingham

The University of Edinburgh


The University of Hull
Hull ...

The University of Manchester

The University of Northampton

The University of Nottingham
Nottingham ...

The University of Sheffield


The University of Warwick

The University of Winchester

The University of York


This source might be able to help you out. As well as this, this and this. They differ in how they list colleges with a definite "The" article, so choose whichever one best suits your needs.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.