There's anagrams, lexigrams, palindromes and many others... But is there a name for words that have the same "size"/"length" (number of characters)?

For instance, "car" and "bat" both have 3 characters. "Eggs" and "near" both have four. Is there a special word for the size/length-based relationships these words share?

  • 2
    They're 3-letter words and 4-letter words?
    – Hellion
    Oct 9, 2013 at 14:08
  • Thanks @Hellion (+1) but is it really that simple? There isn't some special name for them, like "sizeindromes", that means "words with same numbers of letters"? Oct 9, 2013 at 14:10
  • I don't think their is an equivalent to saying "bat is an anagram of tab". But you could say something like "car and bat are equi-length words".
    – MattLBeck
    Oct 9, 2013 at 14:10
  • I don't believe that there's a special word for the general relationship, as in "cat/bar and paper/tiger are pairs of equal-letter-count words".
    – Hellion
    Oct 9, 2013 at 14:17
  • 1
    No, you can invent one if you like, but don't be surprised if it doesn't catch on. Most people have no use for such a term. TLAs and ETLAs do the job pretty well already. Oct 9, 2013 at 14:33

1 Answer 1


"Homomegete", from μέγεθος = size ; in French "homoméguète".

  • Neither the English nor the French version exists according to google.
    – Chris H
    Oct 9, 2013 at 15:17
  • 2
    Let it be so! From this point forward, words with the same "string size" (character length) will be known as homomegetes! Oct 9, 2013 at 17:06
  • Homage to homomegetes! Oct 9, 2013 at 17:24
  • ELU, not DIY... Feb 21, 2018 at 19:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.