In the case of, for example, birthday and wedding recordings, what do you call the people who are the main focus of the video (e.g. bride, groom and birthday boy/girl)?


All the [……] of the videos shared something in common.

  • 6
    Subject comes to mind
    – mplungjan
    Commented Oct 9, 2013 at 11:34
  • Hello, I'm just going through posts which have "How do you call....?" in their questions or titles. See the discussion in this post: “How do we call (something) in English?” Would you mind editing yours to “What do you call the people....?” Thanks!
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Mar 25, 2016 at 19:59

3 Answers 3


If you're talking about everybody in the video you could say "the entire cast of the video".

For a single person you can use protagonist

the leading character or one of the major characters in a play, film, novel, etc.:

..or you can indeed have multiple protagonists.

If that is too cinematic for your needs, you could use subjects as suggested by @mplungjan or something like:

All of the people featured in the videos...

Or, if you want to highlight the key people you can use stars as answered by Mark. This would suggest the main "characters" and not those in the background.

  • Well, it's just a recording. Not a film nor anything like that.
    – wyc
    Commented Oct 9, 2013 at 11:47
  • @janoChen See edits.
    – Ste
    Commented Oct 9, 2013 at 11:52

Simply "star" or "leading man / lady / person" ?

  • Like: "The people who starred in those videos?"
    – wyc
    Commented Oct 9, 2013 at 11:34

In TV broadcasts, they use "anchors". But that's presenters, mostly. Main characters are "protagonists".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.