When testing to see how loud your voice is in a microphone, there is a visual bar/graph that increases as you get louder--what is this called?

I'm not looking for the name of a device the measures sound (e.g. decibel meter).

  • 2
    sound level meter – mplungjan Oct 9 '13 at 8:42
  • 1
    Volume Unit Meter. – Noah Oct 9 '13 at 8:54

This is a representation of a VU meter. In many presentations it could be regarded as an example of a Skeuomorph, as it's often an imitation of the physical meters of old (for example Magic eye tubes).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.