I was wondering if there exists a verb that is equivalent to saying 'adding something in front'.

For example, if I have the numbers 1234, then I add in front 9 and I will get 91234.

2 Answers 2


I think you're looking for the word prepend, as in

...when I prepend '9' I will have '91234'

You could also use prefix, the verb, but I prefer prepend for your usage.

  • Ah, yeah that is what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. Feb 17, 2011 at 10:15
  • 5
    Although prepend is widely used in the context of computer programming, you won't find it in many dictionaries - and if you did it would be listed as computer jargon. For all other uses, use prefix
    – gpr
    Feb 17, 2011 at 10:58
  • Also, note that the opposite of "to prepend" would be "to append".
    – Zoot
    Feb 17, 2011 at 14:39
  • @gpr, okay thanks that clears it up. But I was indeed looking for a verb to name a function in a computer program, so in this case it's prefect for me :) Feb 17, 2011 at 17:23

I shall say it as follows:

If I have the number 1234, then I prefix 9 and I will get 91234.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.