Sorry, I don't know what is this element called in English. It is an electric power cord with multiple sockets to allow multiple appliances to be plugged into it. In Spanish it is said to be informally a “zapatilla”, but in English?

Socket Strip


Extension Lead

  • I thought zapatilla was shoe? Why are power strips called that? – Adam Feb 17 '11 at 1:03
  • Yes, you're totally right. I don't know why -.- – flyer88 Jul 14 '11 at 21:55

This varies country to country, even internally within English speaking countries.

In the UK, in shops they usually refer to it as a "multi-way extension lead". Also referred to as a "socket strip", "socketboard", "power strip", "extension socket", "extension cable", "plug board".

Probably a few other things.

|improve this answer|||||
  • 5
    They're called 'power-boards' in Australia. – gpr Feb 17 '11 at 1:06
  • 3
    Power bars in Canada. – ghoppe Feb 17 '11 at 1:54
  • I'd say "plug board" is the most common term in the UK. – AAT Feb 17 '11 at 8:01
  • 2
    lived in the UK until I was 25, never heard the phrase "plug board" (or "socketboard", for that matter")! I've always called it a "4-gang [power] extension", or "2-gang..." etc. depending on the number of sockets. – simon Feb 17 '11 at 10:14
  • 1
    I've not heard "plug board" in the UK, "(six-way)(mains) extension lead" seems the most common term to me. Perhaps there are strong regional variations. To me a plug board is what was used in early telephone exchanges. A "power bar" here would be a snack aimed at people striving to be athletes. – RedGrittyBrick Feb 17 '11 at 15:12

The items in the pictures are commonly known as power strips. Some power strips also have the ability to prevent power spikes, and those can also be called surge protectors.

|improve this answer|||||

Power bar is another common term. (At least in Canada.)

|improve this answer|||||
  • 4
    I, for one, have never heard them called that (in my part of the US, at least). I think of some kind of energy bar (food) when I hear "power bar." – Adam Feb 17 '11 at 1:05
  • 1
    @advs89 it's true the energy bar has usurped the phrase. However, up here in the Great White North, power bar is not an uncommon term. :) canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/7/Electronics/TVsAccessories/… – ghoppe Feb 17 '11 at 1:52
  • I have to admit, "power bar" sounds much cooler. – Adam Feb 17 '11 at 2:12

That would be a "Power Board" in Australia.

|improve this answer|||||
  • 1
    That sounds like some kind of hyped up surfing mechanism... (good to know, though) – Adam Feb 17 '11 at 1:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.