Sorry, I don't know what is this element called in English. It is an electric power cord with multiple sockets to allow multiple appliances to be plugged into it. In Spanish it is said to be informally a “zapatilla”, but in English?

Socket Strip


Extension Lead

  • I thought zapatilla was shoe? Why are power strips called that?
    – Adam
    Feb 17, 2011 at 1:03
  • Yes, you're totally right. I don't know why -.-
    – flyer88
    Jul 14, 2011 at 21:55

6 Answers 6


This varies country to country, even internally within English speaking countries.

In the UK, in shops they usually refer to it as a "multi-way extension lead". Also referred to as a "socket strip", "socketboard", "power strip", "extension socket", "extension cable", "plug board".

Probably a few other things.

  • 5
    They're called 'power-boards' in Australia.
    – gpr
    Feb 17, 2011 at 1:06
  • 3
    Power bars in Canada.
    – ghoppe
    Feb 17, 2011 at 1:54
  • 2
    lived in the UK until I was 25, never heard the phrase "plug board" (or "socketboard", for that matter")! I've always called it a "4-gang [power] extension", or "2-gang..." etc. depending on the number of sockets.
    – simon
    Feb 17, 2011 at 10:14
  • 1
    I've not heard "plug board" in the UK, "(six-way)(mains) extension lead" seems the most common term to me. Perhaps there are strong regional variations. To me a plug board is what was used in early telephone exchanges. A "power bar" here would be a snack aimed at people striving to be athletes. Feb 17, 2011 at 15:12
  • 1
    It is quite astonishing, Amazon UK responds correctly to all the names mentioned here!
    – WS2
    Jun 9, 2022 at 11:52

The items in the pictures are commonly known as power strips. Some power strips also have the ability to prevent power spikes, and those can also be called surge protectors.


Power bar is another common term. (At least in Canada.)

  • 4
    I, for one, have never heard them called that (in my part of the US, at least). I think of some kind of energy bar (food) when I hear "power bar."
    – Adam
    Feb 17, 2011 at 1:05
  • 1
    @advs89 it's true the energy bar has usurped the phrase. However, up here in the Great White North, power bar is not an uncommon term. :) canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/7/Electronics/TVsAccessories/…
    – ghoppe
    Feb 17, 2011 at 1:52
  • I have to admit, "power bar" sounds much cooler.
    – Adam
    Feb 17, 2011 at 2:12

That would be a "Power Board" in Australia.

  • 1
    That sounds like some kind of hyped up surfing mechanism... (good to know, though)
    – Adam
    Feb 17, 2011 at 1:41

We call them multi-plugs in South Africa

  • 1
    Your answer could be improved with additional supporting information. Please edit to add further details, such as citations or documentation, so that others can confirm that your answer is correct. You can find more information on how to write good answers in the help center.
    – Community Bot
    Nov 15, 2021 at 12:09

That would be called as an Extension Board in India.

An example of use on Amazon India.

  • Can you provide some examples that show this term is used in India? (Links to websites selling some would be good.)
    – Laurel
    Jun 9, 2022 at 11:37
  • [link] (amazon.in/…)
    – Rakul
    Jun 9, 2022 at 11:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.