My Google-fu has maybe failed me, but I couldn't find an authoritative source about the correct English qualification title for a French diplôme d'ingénieur.

Some sources say the title is M.Sc., others MEng., so I'm not sure which one suits it best.

  • 4
    It will vary from country to country, and in the U.S.A, where there is not national educational certification, it varies from school to school. Sep 27, 2013 at 16:54
  • 1
    If I'm particularly interested about its usage in the UK, should I add it to the question then?
    – anol
    Sep 27, 2013 at 17:07

2 Answers 2


The most generic term which would be understood in the majority of English speaking academic circles is a Masters of Engineering. The names can vary enormously depending on the institution offering the degree, but most people should understand Masters of Engineering. Some examples:

  • Harvard

    Engineering Sciences: Electrical Engineering (S.M., M.E., Ph.D.)

    Engineering Sciences: Environmental Science and Engineering (S.M., M.E., Ph.D) Engineering Sciences: Mechanical Engineering (including a

    Materials Science track) (M.S.E.)

  • MIT

    The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering's Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) is a nine-month program that provides a practice-oriented education.

  • Oxford

    The advanced research degrees which may be awarded to graduate students in the Department are Master of Science (MSc) by research and Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil):

  • Cambridge

    MPhil in Energy Technologies

    MPhil in Engineering for Sustainable Development

    MPhil in Industrial Systems, Manufacturing and Management

    MPhil in Nuclear Energy

    MRes Photonics Systems Development

    MRes in Ultra Precision

    MSt Construction Engineering

  • Other British universities (eg Surrey) actually have an MEng.
    – Andrew Leach
    Sep 27, 2013 at 17:36

I usually present my Diplome d'Ingenieur as a MSc in Engineering, on the basis that MEng programmes in the UK are shorter and considered slightly less thorough than BSc+MSc programmes. In fact, MEng is an undergraduate degree, whilst the French DI is closer to a French MSc and would be a postgraduate degree.

However, some universities also offer MSc in Engineering programmes in France, which are distinct from the DI. I personally do not care to make a distinction between University and Grandes Ecoles, but if the distinction is usually recognised in a specific industry (i.e. if the industry specifically wants certified engineers), one would be better off explicitly stating that their degree is a certified Diplome d'Ingenieur.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.