I'm not sure what to add here. I think the title says it all. I just need to know and would like to try this service because I believe it's really useful.

  • Meaning migration? Sense shift? – bib Sep 26 '13 at 16:12
  • 3
    @user52882 this is not a service, it is just a collection of people who enjoy asking and answering questions, welcome aboard! Please remember to accept an answer if it answers your question. That's the way to show thanks. – terdon Sep 26 '13 at 17:13
  • 1
    Well, Stack Exchange is a service to humanity :) – Talia Ford Sep 26 '13 at 20:15

It is called semantic change (also semantic shift, semantic progression or semantic drift).

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Thanks, I thought so but suspected there was a single word that fitted it better. This will suffice. Great response time and nice service this. – track2now Sep 26 '13 at 16:39
  • Is it still considered "semantic change" when the new meaning is additional, i.e. when the older meaning shows no signs of going away? – LarsH Sep 26 '13 at 20:43
  • Is it still considered change if I put a million dollars in my bank account without taking any out? – Kyle Hale Sep 26 '13 at 21:30
  • 1
    @LarsH: Semantic change from Wikipedia: ... Semantic change ... is the evolution of word usage — usually to the point that the modern meaning is radically different from the original usage. Types of semantic change: A number of classification schemes have been suggested for semantic change. The most widely accepted scheme in the English-speaking academic world is from Bloomfield (1933): Narrowing: ... However, the categorization of Blank (1998) has gained increasing acceptance: [2] Metaphor: Change based on similarity between concepts, e.g., mouse "rodent" → "computer device". – Edwin Ashworth Sep 27 '13 at 11:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.