I'm looking for a verb which refers to the sound that people make when they are excited. The typical "wooh."

At first I thought it was called wooing/wooed. But then I checked the Free Dictionary:

woo (w) v. wooed, woo·ing, woos v.tr. 1. To seek the affection of with intent to romance. 2. a. To seek to achieve; try to gain. b. To tempt or invite. 3. To entreat, solicit, or importune. v.intr. To court a woman

And realized it was not.

What's the correct word?


You might want whoop

whoop /wuːp/
1 a loud cry of joy or excitement:
a moment’s silence was followed by whoops of delight

verb [no object]
give or make a whoop:
all at once they were whooping with laughter


  • Or, more generally, "cheer", in the sense of "to shout with joy, approval, or enthusiasm", but this does not describe the "wooh" sound so much. merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cheer – nxx Sep 24 '13 at 12:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.