They look like this:

enter image description hereenter image description here

Do you usually just call them plastic wrappers or wrappings?

  • 3
    I would call it a sleeve until it introduced itself properly. – MetaEd Sep 22 '13 at 14:17
  • I'm certain there's a technical term in publishing, but the general public will likely not refer to the plastic as X, but rather to the magazines/comics as sealed. – RegDwigнt Sep 22 '13 at 14:18
  • I would call it a cellophane bag because cellophane is a thin, transparent sheet made of regenerated cellulose. – user51029 Sep 22 '13 at 14:33
  • The bags shown look like polyethylene rather than cellulose or Cellophane, ie probably are poly bags – James Waldby - jwpat7 Sep 22 '13 at 16:24
  • At our publishing company, as jwpat7 mentions, we call these polybags. – JLG Sep 23 '13 at 20:47

When the article is tight-wrapped in that material, or with some people any material, people use the adjective "shrink-wrapped" or "shrink-wrapped in cellophane". When it's wrapped loose—and often fastened with a bow—, as with holiday presents, people usually say "in cellophane bag" or "in cellophane."

Edit: AFAIK and concerning mostly AE

  • 3
    Unless you're a Brit, where we just say 'plastic wrapper or plastic wrap'. – bamboo Sep 22 '13 at 15:22
  • I don't think this fully or perhaps even effectivey answers the question. Shrink-wrapped refers to a means of (tightly) covering the book/magazine. But, especially as magazines are concerned, I don't think the term Shrink-wrapped is the whole story; comments to the original question seem to support this statement. – Alan Carmack Sep 20 '16 at 16:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.