In Japanese, there's this thing called 横座り (yokozuwari, lit. "side-sitting") that looks like this:


Basically, you sit on your knees, but then partially swing your legs out to one side. Is there a concise way of describing this in English? A short phrase or a single word; either one would work.


There is no single word to describe this in English - you have to use a phrase, such as:

She is sitting on the floor with her knees bent and legs to one side.


Based on a Google Image search, plenty of results show up for the term "side-sit" and "side-sitting." They all seem to depict this position quite well. To me, "side-sit" appears to be the best way to describe this pose.

  • Hello, and welcome to the EL&U. Your answer could be improved by providing references. See tour.
    – fev
    Aug 2 at 22:46

The only word I have come across in relation to this mode of sitting is seiza in martial arts and of course the famous tea ceremonies.

Description of this well-know formal Japanese sitting position can be found here

I suppose the shortest description for the sitting position you describe would be a seiza with feet splayed to the left (/right).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.