What is the correct way to style academic degrees in British English?

I've got a name:

Jane Doe RN Dip HV BSc

My question is: How should I style the degrees?

Jane Doe, RN Dip., HV, BSc.


Jane Doe RN Dip., HV, BSc.

or totally in another way?

2 Answers 2


In general, there are no full stops used in post-nominals. The correct method for the OP name is:

Jane Doe RNDip, HV, BSc

These articles may be of assistance:

Post Nominal Letters

List of post-nominal letters UK

  • Thanks for getting back to me. It seems that the Dip. goes with HV, so am I correct to assume, that it should read as: Jane Doe, BSc, RN, HV Dip. As I found at formsofaddress.info/Nurse.html
    – crs1138
    Commented Sep 20, 2013 at 18:18

If I read those academic degree correctly, here's the proper writing for them:

Jane Doe, R.N.Dip., H.V., B.Sc.

Separate each capitalised letter with dots, but do not separate the abbreviation of one word (like Science in Sc). Separate each kind of academic degree with comma and space. And there's no space necessary between the dots.

  • I think “R.N. Dip.” is a single degree – don't separate it with a comma. Commented Sep 19, 2013 at 1:19
  • Oh, I didn't know what the degrees meant so I just wrote them the way I understood them. Thanks, I've edited it.
    – Safira
    Commented Sep 19, 2013 at 1:22
  • @Safira: Thanks for your response, could you point me to your source please? Since I made the post, I have found following source. He writes RN, BSc without full-stops, also he says that the order should be as follows: - First Academic Degrees, then Professional Licenses (RN is a professional license), then Professional Certifications, then Professional Associations & Affiliations. So according to his suggestion it should be Jane Doe, BSc., RN, HV Dip. But it is an American source and I'm not sure, whether it'd be the same in UK English.
    – crs1138
    Commented Sep 20, 2013 at 18:14
  • Well actually I know how to write it based on translated version (to my native language), but if you need a source, here you go. I think that person (in your source) wrote something about writing style in envelope, not publication like you meant in your original question (before it was edited).
    – Safira
    Commented Sep 24, 2013 at 7:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.