This question already has an answer here:

Is there the English term for switching phonemes between words, creating something like Freudian mistakes?

For example, changing 'lumberjack' to 'jumper's luck'.

As fair as I can remember, one of Gummi Bears from children's TV series was permanently using such constructions.

marked as duplicate by MetaEd, choster, TrevorD, Bradd Szonye, Matt E. Эллен Sep 10 '13 at 7:54

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • The question seems to be asked in a better way here than in the earlier 'duplicate'. Perhaps the two could be merged. – Kris Sep 10 '13 at 6:45

You are talking about a spoonerism, and it was used frequently by Zummi of the Gummi Bears childrens TV show.

Lumberjack to Jumper's Luck isn't a great example though, a more traditional example of a spoonerism would not change the b to a p.

  • "Three cheers for our queer old dean!" and "The Lord is a shoving leopard." I think Rev. Spooner might have been having fun. – Malvolio Sep 9 '13 at 20:39
  • "Punk in Drublic" o_O – Talia Ford Sep 9 '13 at 23:19

How about parapraxis

Check out: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/parapraxis

"a minor error in action, such as slips of the tongue, supposedly the result of repressed impulses "


"a slip of the tongue or pen, forgetfulness, misplacement of objects, or other error thought to reveal unconscious wishes or attitudes. "

para- + Greek prâxis act, action; cf. praxis

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.