Is there the English term for switching phonemes between words, creating something like Freudian mistakes?

For example, changing 'lumberjack' to 'jumper's luck'.

As fair as I can remember, one of Gummi Bears from children's TV series was permanently using such constructions.

  • The question seems to be asked in a better way here than in the earlier 'duplicate'. Perhaps the two could be merged.
    – Kris
    Sep 10, 2013 at 6:45

2 Answers 2


You are talking about a spoonerism, and it was used frequently by Zummi of the Gummi Bears childrens TV show.

Lumberjack to Jumper's Luck isn't a great example though, a more traditional example of a spoonerism would not change the b to a p.

  • "Three cheers for our queer old dean!" and "The Lord is a shoving leopard." I think Rev. Spooner might have been having fun. Sep 9, 2013 at 20:39
  • "Punk in Drublic" o_O
    – Talia Ford
    Sep 9, 2013 at 23:19

How about parapraxis

Check out: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/parapraxis

"a minor error in action, such as slips of the tongue, supposedly the result of repressed impulses "


"a slip of the tongue or pen, forgetfulness, misplacement of objects, or other error thought to reveal unconscious wishes or attitudes. "

para- + Greek prâxis act, action; cf. praxis

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.