What is the English name of this instrument, that measures the consumption of water?

In Hebrew we call it "Sheon Mayim" (literally: "water clock"), but in English, water clock is a clock for measuring time, based on the flow of water.

Another Hebrew name is "Mad Mayim" (literally: "water measurer"), but in English water measurer is an insect.

Google Translate says "Hydrometer", but a Hydrometer is an instrument for measuring some properties of water.

  • 3
    That's a water meter. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_metering There's a different group that may be better for questions like this: ell.stackexchange.com – dcaswell Sep 7 '13 at 22:27
  • Thanks, I tried everything but this :) – Erel Segal-Halevi Sep 7 '13 at 22:29
  • 2
    A klepsydra or clepsydra, from Gk κλέπτειν 'to steal' + ὕδωρ 'water' > 'water thief'. Klept- as in kleptomania, and hydr- as in hydroelectric (in Greek /h/ sometimes alternated with /s/). – John Lawler Sep 8 '13 at 2:38
  • 1
    @JohnLawler, the s in clepsydra is not from the ‘water’ part of the word: it’s from the aorist stem of κλέπτω, which is of course κλεψ-. The initial /h/ is simply suppressed here (as always in compounds, since aspiration can only occur lexeme-initially). There is no s-initial variant of the word ὕδωρ: its initial aspiration is purely automatic and unetymological. (Thankfully—‘swater’ wouldn’t be a very nice word for it, and we’d have to be drinking svodka and swisk(e)y …) – Janus Bahs Jacquet Sep 8 '13 at 11:51
  • Thanks, I wasn't sure about the verb forms of κλέπτειν. s/h alternations are common enough, but this looked odd. – John Lawler Sep 8 '13 at 15:53

That is a water meter.

enter image description here

In a lot of part of America you will see a bigger sized "green" meter that is checked every so often by the water company so they can send bills. This is a typical older style or one found in larger multi-unit buildings.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.