I am looking for a word that means "micro and macro". For instance, if I was describing an economic phenomenon that can be observed on both the micro and macro levels of the economy, I could call it a __ phenomenon.

If you don't know of a "real" English term for this, I'm open to suggestions for new words!

  • 2
    I think suggestions for new words fall outside the scope of this site, but how about poly- or omni- (depending on whether you want "many" or "all") -scopic or -scalar? – user11752 Sep 6 '13 at 23:51

No need to invent new words right yet, we have terms for many of these things!

One of the most commonly recognized scale-independent forms is the Fractal. It mains the same form whether 'big' or 'small'.

In fact, the concepts 'big' or 'small' don't even have a real connection to fractals, which gets at the essence of what you're thinking.

Generally, you are referring to scale-independent or scale-invariant phenomena.

You could use the word scaleless, but I find its awkward to many people.

Source: I have published an article about scale-invariance.


I think what fits best in this particular case is:

"I could call it a universal phenomenon."

  • In general use, his means that it occurs everywhere. – New Alexandria Sep 7 '13 at 1:53


  • broadscale
  • wide-spectrum
  • full spectrum
  • full range

How about: "A general phenomenon" ? Is it too generic ?


One way of answering this would be to suggest words meaning "present everywhere", such as ubiquitous:

present, appearing, or found everywhere

- and its synonyms.

A different approach would be to consider words that mean "displaying the same characteristics at all ranges of scales" - this is less commonplace, but the mathematical term fractal springs to mind:

a curve or geometrical figure, each part of which has the same statistical character as the whole.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.