For example, someone who started learning and playing badminton five years before you do, under the same instructor. Another example, like a senior person in the same school.


  • These pop out of my head -- prexy or school/team senior. – Jesse Aug 31 '13 at 4:40
  • A more experienced player/driver/actor/teacher etc. – Mari-Lou A Aug 31 '13 at 4:46
  • You might also call them upper-level or upper-classmen – Jim Aug 31 '13 at 4:50
  • Precocious might fit too, depending on your usage context. – Autoresponder Aug 31 '13 at 6:58

Words like forerunner, precursor, and predecessor may serve:
forerunner, “a runner at the front or ahead”, also “a forebear, an ancestor, a predecessor” • precursor, “That which precurses, a forerunner, a predecessor, an indicator of approaching events”
predecessor, “One who precedes; one who has preceded another in any state, position, office, etc.; one whom another follows or comes after, in any office or position”


I may have been too hasty in answering the OP's question: A word for someone who has started learning before another person. I'm not sure if my suggestions fit the bill, as they describe learners of a certain experience and not someone who began earlier in their studies. If the OP would like to confirm whether I have indeed misinterpreted his question, I will delete my answer. Thank you!

To use your example of someone who has been playing badminton for at least five years compared to a complete novice or someone at a much lower level we could describe the student or learner (in one word) as being:

  • a skilled player
  • a trained player
  • a senior player (but this could lead to ambiguity, where the word senior can be related to age rather than rank or level of expertise).
  • a tutored player
  • a semi-proficient player (Yes, it's a compound noun, not really a single word but proficient would be inappropriate.)

would you not just call them senior, perhaps upperclassman as opposed to freshman or sophomore

or veteran as opposed to novice or a neophyte

or even an old hand?

In a vein similar to previously suggested 'predecessor' you can also call them antecessor

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.