My brother exhibits this strange behaviour. He once saw his shadow on the wall and screamed in alarm thinking it was a ghost. Another day, when his collar flaps fluttered in the wind, he became nervous that someone was lurking behind him.

Under cases of extreme panic, he develops an abnormal fear of his own making. Is there a name for this? Could we call this autophobia?

closed as off-topic by FumbleFingers, Andrew Leach, Canis Lupus, MetaEd, tchrist Aug 29 '13 at 11:21

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic. A list of these references can be found here: List of general references" – FumbleFingers, Andrew Leach, tchrist
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • I think this is Off Topic General Reference. A typical online definition for autophobia is a fear of being alone or of one's self – FumbleFingers Aug 28 '13 at 20:41
  • 1
    What you described is more than fear of himself. "Nervous that someone was lurking behind him" sounds like paranoia. Taking your description as a whole, it sounds like anxiety disorder (or "generalized anxiety disorder"). I suggest that you edit your subject or your question to clarify what you want. – Canis Lupus Aug 28 '13 at 21:17


It means both a fear of self or fear of being alone.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.