This question already has an answer here:
I am afraid I have never read Life of Pi, the novel by Yann Martel.
Is this sentence wrong? If not wrong, is it sloppy? To me it seems more appropriate to say:
I am afraid I never read Life of Pi, the novel by Yann Martel.
If neither is wrong, which is the better way of writing?
If possible, could you also contrast the inclusion/exclusion of "have" in the "have never" in the sentences below?
- I have never read anything so stupid in my entire life.
- I have never been to the USA.
- I have never eaten at that restaurant.
- I never read the books; I only attended the lectures.
- I never lied.
- I have never lied. [sentence seems wrong]
On a side note, would the sentence be improved if it is made less wordy?
I never read Yann Martel's Life of Pi.