What do you call these cars used by disabled people, they are everywhere and I've seen them again today and was wondering what they are called; these cars they are very small for a person to sit on used by the disabled for traveling on the sidewalk instead of walking?

  • Electromobiles?
    – skymningen
    Commented Aug 21, 2013 at 12:26
  • 1
    @skymninge Actually I shouldn't of call it a car, their small like a wheelchair, but powered.
    – Theo
    Commented Aug 21, 2013 at 12:30
  • That's what I would call an electromobile. More like an electric wheelchair, often with a basket attached on front, so like a powered vespa, kind of.
    – skymningen
    Commented Aug 21, 2013 at 12:32
  • They're hoverboards with the optional chair attachment. : ) Commented Apr 15, 2016 at 21:04

4 Answers 4


In the UK they're called mobility scooters.

  • I like the Dutch Scootmobiel :)
    – mplungjan
    Commented Aug 21, 2013 at 12:39

The lighter duty devices are often called mobility scooters or just scooters in the US. They fit under the broader category of electric wheelchairs.

  • You may also hear brand names, such as Rascal, Hoveround, etc.
    – KeithS
    Commented Aug 21, 2013 at 16:13

Power chair, electric wheelchair, etc. (But not "electric chair" please... that means something else.)

scooter, electric scooter, mobility vehicle, etc.
enter image description here


I think you're talking about electric wheelchairs, also known as powerchairs, EPWs or motorized wheelchairs.

In addition to those names, they are also often called by whatever name their brand is - one example would be "Amigo".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.