Is there a word which describes intentionally misusing or abusing diacritics, in contexts where they are neither needed nor appropriate, for purely stylistic reasons. For example:

I submittéd my résumé to thé récruitér

Or perhaps the best example, the metal umlaut:

Spın̈al Tap

Or in the most extreme case:

za͎͌l̰͝g̻̕o̬̅ ͎̂ẗ̥́ex̲̚t͓̃

  • 1
    – tchrist
    Aug 19, 2013 at 23:52
  • 2
    Misspelt. They are a part od spelling after all. Aug 19, 2013 at 23:58
  • Reminds me of when an editor I worked with referred to someone who abused commas as a comma comedian
    – Gnawme
    Aug 20, 2013 at 0:15
  • 2
    – bib
    Aug 20, 2013 at 0:34
  • @Gnawme Note, I really wasn't looking for a neologism. I was hoping to find a generally accepted term for this, though I suppose I'd accept a neologism if no such term exists.
    – p.s.w.g
    Aug 20, 2013 at 20:22

1 Answer 1


I'd call it I'd call it diaerrhea. Or, if you want a less scatological alternative, diaerrata.

If orthography is "the art of writing words with the proper letters according to standard usage," including the correct diacritical marks, then its commonly accepted antonym, cacography, would cover the kind of typographical abuse described. (Even if M-W rather prosaically defines cacography simply as "bad spelling.")

  • Actually, according the Wikipedia article on cacography, it sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.
    – p.s.w.g
    Aug 20, 2013 at 21:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.