What is the most common adjective used to describe objects that can be tied. I would think of tieable but it does not seem to exist in the wiktionary.

  • Do you have some reason to think that there is a word used to describe objects that can be tied?
    – GEdgar
    Commented Aug 17, 2013 at 2:07
  • 2
    The word you want is certainly tieable or tie-able. Elegant Latinate ligations will win you no friends.
    – tchrist
    Commented Aug 17, 2013 at 2:57
  • 3
    @GEdgar I'm not sure that your response is useful. It's an objection that could be raised to any single word request. Given the ancient heritage of ropes and knotwork, the huge body of lore surrounding knots and the existence of Knot Theory as a branch of mathematical study, it is not unreasonable to think that somebody might have coined a term for things which may be tied. English has terms for much more trivial concepts.
    – itsbruce
    Commented Aug 17, 2013 at 10:32
  • 2
    Are you referring to (1) string, rope, etc., the ends of which can be tied together in a knot; or (2) to objects around which string, etc. can be tied, e.g. a parcel or box; or (3) things that can be tied to each other or something else; e.g. a tree (or person!) being tied to a stake, a gate being tied to a post, a bundle of sticks being tied together; to a tie/draw in a game (as the first answer has assumed)?
    – TrevorD
    Commented Aug 17, 2013 at 12:24
  • 2
    In the absence of further info, I'm voting to close as "unclear what you are asking".
    – TrevorD
    Commented Aug 17, 2013 at 12:25

4 Answers 4


While M-W doesn't include the word, and its not an exact fit, bindable means capable of being fastened or secured with a rope or bond.


I would say "The score was tied." "The (noun) can be tied." "A tie (noun) is possible." The rules for spelling are not much help, but if the silent "e" were dropped, "tiable" results. I have seen "tying", but never "tiable". I have seen "tie-able", but it is an incorrect and meaningless use of the hyphen. So, use the long form.

  • 2
    I am willing to bet that Vincent has knots in mind, rather than sporting events. The choice of "object" rather than "event" implies this, to me at least. Vincent?
    – itsbruce
    Commented Aug 17, 2013 at 10:23

the word anchorable springs to mind


You might consider:

Pliable: 1a : supple enough to bend freely or repeatedly without breaking

from m-w.com

  • @MrDownvote: care to elucidate?
    – Jack Ryan
    Commented Aug 20, 2013 at 20:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.