What is a person who speaks on the mic that which person is going to come next to speak called?

  • From the wiki- In broadcast media a presenter is, especially in British English, the person who hosts, narrates, or otherwise takes the main role in presenting a radio or television programme. Not a stretch to apply it to other speaking presentations. – JohnP Aug 15 '13 at 19:06
  • 1
    What sort of event? Academic conference? Quiz show? Wedding? – TimLymington Aug 15 '13 at 21:22
  • Its an academic conference. – Fahad Uddin Aug 16 '13 at 15:37

At many events (or just informally) this person is called the MC or Master of Ceremonies

MC noun
1 short for master of ceremonies.
2 a person who provides entertainment at a club or party by instructing the DJ and performing rap music.

Master of Ceremonies noun
a person who presides over a formal event or entertainment and who introduces guests, speakers, or entertainers:
   the Master of Ceremonies will announce the cake-cutting

There is also the word compere.

compere noun
a person who introduces the performers or contestants in a variety show.

  • It's also commonly spelled as Emcee which I think is more common in Britain. – Jacobm001 Aug 15 '13 at 14:57
  • 4
    I've never seen or used Emcee (and I'm in Britain). It's always MC. – Andrew Leach Aug 15 '13 at 14:58
  • I've come across it before, but pretty rarely here in the US. Thanks for the correction. – Jacobm001 Aug 15 '13 at 15:00
  • @Jacobm001 Odd; I've seen emcee used both noun and verb here in the US. And Macmillan tags the word as "American." – Gnawme Aug 15 '13 at 15:59
  • WolframAlpha lists it as both, I just assumed it was slightly more popular there than here. – Jacobm001 Aug 15 '13 at 16:02

If this person is directing speeches in a political context, they may be the chair (-woman or -man or -person) or (esp in British use) the speaker. In an academic setting, they may be the moderator.

  • 1
    Broader than political context, the Chair is generally the term for the person running a committee meeting. Corporate and social committees adhere to this as well. You also have a moderator (less often, a host) of debates or talk programs (radio, television etc.). – Patrick M Aug 15 '13 at 19:27

MC (Master of Ceremonies) is a common word for that. However, sometimes (especially in certain specfic contexts and settings) that person might simply be called a "host".


A master of ceremonies is the host of a staged event, whose duties include the presentation of speakers or performers. The term is not specific to British English. It's frequently abbreviated “MC” or “emcee” (and often applied metaphorically to rappers in hip-hop music).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.