What is the opposite of change (change as in "change for currency")?

If I say, "Give me change for $10" what is the opposite of 'change' in that sentence?

  • 1
    I know of no general-purpose word that functions as an "opposite" in this context. If I had two $5 bills, or a $5 and five ones, I would say something along the lines of, "Can you give me a ten for some change?" or "Do you have a $10 I could trade for some smaller bills?" Related. – J.R. Aug 13 '13 at 8:24
  • Can you explain in more words than one what the opposite would be in your words? Change means what is left over after you subtract what is yours. How can there be an opposite of that? – teylyn Aug 13 '13 at 11:23
  • 2
    In the US, most people would say Can you give me big bills (or bigger bills)? – bib Aug 13 '13 at 12:19
  • Literally, the opposite of "change" in that sentence would be "exchange." In other words, you give the change back to the person from whom you received it! (I'm only half-joking!) – rhetorician Aug 13 '13 at 18:45

The question isn't clear, but in Britain the way of saying "Take these coins and give me ...." [from comments] would be

Can you change ten pound coins for notes?

When changing currency into coins, you don't need to specify the result because the noun change means coins. But if you want a different result from the exchange, you need to state that explicitly.


In American English, one common word is break ("break a ten, get $10 in change"). The opposite is cashing out — exchanging smaller currency for larger denominations. E.g. "cash out your register", "cash out his tips", "can you cash me out." The term originally refers to poker — exchanging poker chips back into cash money.

  • 1
    So there's a (multi-word) verb but no noun? (I don't even think the verb is used in the UK.) – Edwin Ashworth Aug 13 '13 at 8:06
  • That phrase is the closest antonym I know of, but I was thinking of antonyms to the verb, "make change." As a noun, if "change" means coin, the alternative would be bills. ... don't think that's what you had in mind, though... – OpenSorceress Aug 13 '13 at 8:21

My answer would be bills or dollars or pounds etc.

Here is the sentence; "Instead of change for my refund can I get it in bills?"

The opposite "Instead of dollars for my refund can I get it in change?"



Your example:

Give me change for $10.


Give me cash for $10 in change.


Alternatively you could use the word difference to specify change.


A: "Your total comes to seven dollars."
B: "Here's a ten, keep the difference."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.