I was just wondering if there a single English word or term that means "trust breaker" (that is, a person who breaks a trust).

  • Seems a "trust breaker" or "deal breaker" is a term for something someone does that changes the relationship. Hence the single word for such a concept would depend on the relationship. Infidelity could be a trust breaker in a personal relationship, but the overall term would still be trust breaker – mplungjan Aug 12 '13 at 12:38
  • But "trust breaker" could also be someone who breaks a trust. The question is ambiguous. – Andrew Leach Aug 12 '13 at 13:19
  • @AndrewLeach what I meant was, as you mentioned, someone who breaks trust in personal relationships. – Aram Aug 12 '13 at 13:30
  • @user49582 Fixed that for you. – Andrew Leach Aug 12 '13 at 13:32
  • 1
    Yes, but infidelity is a form of trust breaking. Not a word for trust breaking in general – mplungjan Aug 12 '13 at 13:36

The words "turncoat" and "deceiver" can be used to mean "trust breaker," but both have a connotation of betrayal.


Traitor and Betrayer are the two words I can think of other than the ones mentioned in the above answer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.