I'm trying to say that a certain individual adds noise to any place he goes.

When someone, figuratively, enhances the mood of a room he enters we say "he lights up the room".

Is there any way to use sound as a verb to get the same idea across but with sound?

  • 2
    He brings cacophony wherever he goes! (Yes, I know it's not a verb; that's why it's not an answer.)
    – bib
    Commented Aug 9, 2013 at 21:16
  • 1
    Does everyone in the room stop to pay attention to him or is he just a noisy new element to the room? Commented Aug 9, 2013 at 22:05
  • I don't understand how one could 'get the same idea across but with sound'. As you say, 'lights up' is used figuratively here. 'Sound up' isn't an idiom. Commented Aug 9, 2013 at 22:16
  • 1
    liven up a room.
    – MetaEd
    Commented Aug 9, 2013 at 23:52
  • 1
    You can use "sound" as a verb as in "to sound someone out" but that, obviously, is not what you're looking for.
    – terdon
    Commented Aug 10, 2013 at 1:00

6 Answers 6


Actually, "he brightens up a room" or *"he lights up a room"*would most likely include sound since he is not a light source but rather a live, animated presence.

  • Or you could explicitly include sound: "Chad always livens up a room with his happy sounds and racy tales."thefreedictionary.com/liven+up Commented Aug 9, 2013 at 23:17
  • That rather depends on the nature of the sound and it's effect on the people present.
    – TrevorD
    Commented Aug 9, 2013 at 23:22

The intransitive verb form of noise means "to talk much or loudly."

By analogy with lights up a room, you could say that someone noises up a room.

  • 1
    Sorry, that just sounds awkward to me. Commented Aug 9, 2013 at 22:12
  • @KristinaLopez Well, it's an awkward concept to begin with...
    – Gnawme
    Commented Aug 9, 2013 at 22:22
  • That's ok, my answer was not as original! lol! Commented Aug 9, 2013 at 22:25

One particular form of adding sound is chatting up

To engage (someone) in light, casual talk: "He would be . . . chatting up folks from Kansas" (Vanity Fair).

You also might say regale

entertain or amuse (someone) with talk: he regaled her with a colourful account of that afternoon’s meeting


Or you could say He lilted through the room. Merriam-Webster defines it as

to sing or play in a lively cheerful manner

  • 1
    I would understand chatting someone up to mean hitting on them. It seems to be a British idiom but that is the only meaning I was aware of.
    – terdon
    Commented Aug 10, 2013 at 0:40
  • @terdon: "Chatting up" a person may connote hitting on them, but "chatting up a room" implies, well, making the rounds and talking to others. It can be found in several contexts, including a bride talking to friends at the wedding reception, a restauranteer talking to customers in the dining room, etc. As a supplmental comment: though I like "chatting up the room," I'm not fond at all of "lilting through the room." It can be found on Google, too, but it describes sounds & music, not people.
    – J.R.
    Commented Aug 10, 2013 at 10:22
  • @J.R. I understand that, I am just pointing out that I, at least, was not aware of that meaning and would not have understood it in the intended way before reading this answer. I am likely not alone in this since this seems to be a "which side of the pond" difference.
    – terdon
    Commented Aug 10, 2013 at 10:26

"Sound" would bring in connotations of testing out the feeling of the room, as, say a comedian might, related to the nautical "sounding" meaning to test the depth of the water so you don't run aground.

One could "sound out" a room in this sense.

"Sound up a room" just sounds odd, and few people would have any idea what you meant.


When you say “add noise,” I'm assuming you mean this in a negative light. In other words, instead of him telling compelling stories that hold people in rapt attention, the person in question is loud and boisterous, perhaps even uncouth. I'm interpreting your use of the word “noise” to mean unwelcomed noise.

With that in mind, I have these suggestions:

He clamors for attention wherever he goes.

Clamor is defined by Macmillan as, to shout or talk loudly. It often refers to loud demands for something, but I think it could work for your overly loud friend if we say that he is clamoring for attention.

Other possibilities include:

He adds din to the room wherever he goes.

(The word din can be used as a verb as well as a noun, so, technically, if you really wanted a verb for some reason, you could say, He dins the room wherever he goes, but I think the phrase “adds din” sounds more natural.)

You could also say:

He adds commotion to the room wherever he goes.

It's not a verb; nevertheless, it might be the most accurate way to describe his boorish social skills.


'Fill the room with sound' is how it would be used. You can 'Quiet down' a sound, as in a teacher telling students to 'Quiet down'.

You could 'lift up' a sound, as in 'lift up your voice'.

You could 'sound a trumpet' (used as a verb) which would fill up the room with noise. Then maybe you could 'sound a choir' in the same way, though I haven't heard it used that way. You can 'sound an alarm', and this would be a verb.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.