What is the most natural way to ask a hotel receptionist or a secretary to transfer your call to a hotel room or an office?

Could you please connect me with room number 321?

Could you please transfer my call to room number 321?


Could you please connect me with [name]'s office?

Could you please transfer my call to [name]'s office?

I would like to know some more informal or maybe slang terms, specifically US ones.

  • 8
    "Room 321, please."
    – RegDwigнt
    Aug 1, 2013 at 8:39
  • Perfect question for ELL.
    – Mitch
    Aug 1, 2013 at 13:38

3 Answers 3


You could always use the phrasal verb "put through to", which is specific to phone calls. For example, "Could you please put me through to room 321?"


There are certainly many ways to do this. I would suggest saying it one of two ways:

Hello, could you please transfer me to room 321?

or the slightly more informal

Room 321, please.


I regard requests or statements like “Give me room 321, please” and “I'd like to speak with Jane Doe in room 321” as natural, along with previously-suggested “Room 321, please”. But previous suggestions containing phrases like “transfer me” or “put me through” seem to me rather unnatural (even if idiomatic). I'd prefer to hear “transfer my call” or “put my call through”.

  • The poster asked for informal expressions; I find "transfer" unqualified in that respect. And to my ear and mouth, "put my call through" is much more unnatural than "put me through".
    – Rusty Tuba
    Aug 1, 2013 at 16:01
  • @RustyTuba, I don't agree "put my call through" is unnatural, but do agree that the "my call" forms are more formal than the "me" forms. Anyway, I don't particularly like any of the transfer or put through forms, and as stated prefer "Give me..." and "I'd like to speak..." forms. Aug 1, 2013 at 16:08
  • No, "put my call through" is not unnatural; I just feel it's more unnatural that "put me through," support for which is ample through a bit of googling.
    – Rusty Tuba
    Aug 1, 2013 at 17:37

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.